Symbol(s) Asset creation tutorial

p4nic

Hi gang, I'm currently running a Star Wars game and am interested in learning how to make map assets that would fit this theme. Could someone please create a quick little tutorial on making some of the fantastic assets I've seen here?

If this has been done somewhere else, does anyone have a link I could check out?

Thanks!

Silvia_Crow

I use PS cs2, other programs can be use as long as thay can save the file as a png image, remember to set the background to transparent and trim your image so that only it is in focus. If you want to make it custom colors, use the color Green: for line, blue: for fill out color or base color and red: to add shadows or other details

Add the asset in a folder to wonderdraft->asset->example->sprites->symbols.
Start wonderdraft and now there should be a text document in your asset folder, close wonderdraft, open the text document and find "draw_mode": "normal", change it to "draw_mode": "custom_colors", save, reopen wonderdraft and look under the symbol tab. Hopefully you'll find your asset there.

I hope this will help you, even if it just a little.

Xandyr78

I use PS cs2, other programs can be use as long as thay can save the file as a png image, remember to set the background to transparent and trim your image so that only it is in focus. If you want to make it custom colors, use the color Green: for line, blue: for fill out color or base color and red: to add shadows or other details...
Thank you for a very concise but easy-to-grasp tutorial...I have a question...is there a way to know the scale of the asset in WonderDraft? Does the slider use the .PNG's full size at full slide, or does it use some other sort of scaling? I'd really like to create a unique set of icons, but I want to give them as much flexibility as possible.

Silvia_Crow

I, sadly, don't know anything about the slider. I usually set mine to 600 in width and use Preserve height-width ratiot, and that seems to work fine.
try playing around with the sizes and see what suits you best :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glasgowdessie

Latest profile posts

Gimmie Pig wrote on vevedere's profile.
You might let folks know it can be used underwater and even give them an example - not sure how many people read the reviews!
making items for use
enter line 2 here
EightBitz wrote on Toblakai23's profile.
Your T23 Banners pack, and your T23's Candles and Lanterns pack have the same Pack ID. This means that only one of them will show up in the list.
just made my first namebase, lol
ZeroGNexus wrote on ApprenticeOfAule's profile.
Hi, I was considering using some of your water paths for my maps, but I share them on Patreon and offer commissions so they'd be commercial. I was just wondering if you had a license for them or something along those lines?

Join the platform as a developer!

If you are developing software or maintaining a community related to map-making in any way then you are more than welcome to join our platform!

Learn More!
Partners
  • Legend Keeper
  • MapForge
  • Campaign Cartographer
  • Dungeon Builder
  • Other World Mapper