Installing/using custom assets

CaptMyron

Hey all,

So I've read incessantly and watched multiple videos but still can't get custom assets to work right. The only instructions I can find it to create a folder (the example given is "myassets") under the C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\Wonderdraft directory, and then make sure subsequent folders associated with a particular asset pack have three directories within them (fonts, sprites and textures). Then I'm supposed to populate those directories with the correct files (e.g. under sprites I have mountains, trees and symbols). I learned right away that just dumping those assets into one directory (by creating fonts, sprites and textures under myassets) doesn't do the trick. I'm going to use an example to illustrate the rest.

So I'm on the Cartography Assets site and I fall in love with Mazlo's assets. I buy them, download them and then try to install. I finally figured out I need separate directories (I think) for each set of assets. So I created a Mazlo subdirectory under assets under which I created fonts, sprites and textures. Under sprites I created three more directors: mountains, symbols and trees. I then unzipped all the mountain-related files under mountains but kept them in their directories ( for example, "Maz Modular Hybrid Mountains"). In that particular case, there is another subdirectory ("Mazlo's Modular Hybrid Mountains" and the .wonderdraft_symbols file). Under THAT subdirectory are further directories - Arid, Forested, etc.. Those ones I can't see in game at all. Whereas under the "Maz Topo Mountains Pro Pack #2" (which is under assets/Mazlo/sprites/mountains) all the files are in the main directories (no sub-folders). Those ones I can see in game but not individually. If I choose a mountain from that set and place it, it skips to the next model, and so on, but I have no choice over which one gets laid down.

I did try to use Mythkeeper but I don't think it's working properly either (screenshot below). Sry for the long post, I really WANT to love this piece of software but I'm getting frustrated.

Thanks!

mythkeeper.PNG

Nexoness

Platform manager
Staff member
Administrator
It should look something like this: Wonderdraft\assets\Lapis Pack 1\sprites\mountains\High Mountains\image1.png or Wonderdraft\assets\Lapis Pack 1\sprites\mountains\Low Mountains\image.png

You have everything (it looks like) in the example assets folder, which makes it a bit harder since you tend to have extra subfolders in that that you don't really need.

CaptMyron

Thanks for your help, Nexoness! I gave up on Mythkeeper and started installing old school LOL My directory structure now looks like the attached screenshot. Although one thing (I like to call them undocumented features haha) I discovered was that, for instance, if I take the mountains from Mazlo's assets and place them in the symbols folder (as opposed to mountains) I can use them as stamps whereas if they're in the mountains folder you have to choose the model and then shift-scroll to see the different versions. I MUCH prefer the former and am wondering the reasoning behind the design decision.directorystructure.PNG

CaptMyron

Yeah so confirmed that if I take Mazlo’s trees and put them into symbols I can use them as indixvidual stamps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glasgowdessie

Latest profile posts

Gimmie Pig wrote on vevedere's profile.
You might let folks know it can be used underwater and even give them an example - not sure how many people read the reviews!
making items for use
enter line 2 here
EightBitz wrote on Toblakai23's profile.
Your T23 Banners pack, and your T23's Candles and Lanterns pack have the same Pack ID. This means that only one of them will show up in the list.
just made my first namebase, lol
ZeroGNexus wrote on ApprenticeOfAule's profile.
Hi, I was considering using some of your water paths for my maps, but I share them on Patreon and offer commissions so they'd be commercial. I was just wondering if you had a license for them or something along those lines?

Join the platform as a developer!

If you are developing software or maintaining a community related to map-making in any way then you are more than welcome to join our platform!

Learn More!
Partners
  • Legend Keeper
  • MapForge
  • Campaign Cartographer
  • Dungeon Builder
  • Other World Mapper